Tag Archives: Decorative Painting

Goldie Locks and the Three Night Dressers

22 Apr

I am sure you are all familiar with the tale of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears. Well in this tale Goldie Locks is my husband minus the blonde ringlets of course :). Since we moved he has been using a TV stand as a bedside table, shameful I know!! I have been on the hunt near and far from estate sales to thrift stores for a new nightstand. I find one paint it with my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint but he is so picky! Just like Goldie Locks one is two small, to big, to tall, you get the idea. Finally today we had a break through, I found one just right! Lets go through the rejects first!!

This one was two small: Painted in Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue with a white wash.

duk egg 3 duck egg 4

This one had no storage: Painted Annie Sloan Paris Grey.

grey pedestal 2 grey pedestal 3

This one was just right: Painted Annie Sloan French Linen, with Old White for the inside cubby. I guess third times the charm!

colin table colin table 2 colin table 3

Advertisements

No Stress Distressed

2 Feb

Have you heard about the vaseline method for distressing wood? I know it already sounds messy and unnecessary, but I promise it’s worth it. I had been wanting a distressed painted box for my study to store odds and ends. Of course when you want something and go looking for it rarely is it found. I decided to make one of my own. In four easy steps you can take a plain wood box and give it a ton of character.

boxes

What you will need:

  • Wood box (mine are from AC Moore)
  • Paint color
  • Dark brown paint
  • Brush
  • Sanding block
  • Vaseline
  • Wood stain

DSC_1187

First I painted the edges of the boxes dark brown where I planned on distressing later.

DSC_1192

After the brown paint dries I rubbed vaseline along the corners of the box where I had just painted. Doing this step will block the top coat of paint from completely adhering to the wood making it easy to distress later. I then painted my top coat a light blue.

DSC_1194Next comes the fun part! After the paint dries I took a paper towel and rubbed away the paint along the edges and corners. It’s that easy and it comes right off! Then I just ran a sanding block over each box quickly.

DSC_1195You can be done at this step if you are happy with the look you have achieved. Or move on to the last step  which was apply a stain over the painted wood. I felt that the blue was just a little too new looking and too perfect. So I took dark chestnut Minwax stained one side of the box and then quickly rub off the stain. The trick is to not let the stain stay on for very long. What you are left with is a vintage tint, making the wood look older. The top of the larger box has been stained where the smaller box has not. See the difference?

DSC_1198

Here they are dry and ready for my study.

DSC_1201

A Mothers Day Gift

12 May

I am a meeting planner by day and a ruffle loving, DIYer, party planning blogger by night. I love finding unique ideas that make life’s little moments more special.

 

 

For Mothers Day this year I wanted to do something special for my mother in law. We always get her a hanging plant, for her deck. She has a green thumb, so I knew I wanted the gift to continue to be a plant. I decided to try making these shabby chic terracotta pots with my in laws house number on them. I thought they would look really cute on their front porch. It was defiantly a learning experience for me, there were a few moments where I thought this DIY might end horribly wrong. I will let you know what not to do so if you decide to recreate you won’t make the same mistakes I did. In the end it worked out really well. I planted lavender and an annual flowering plant, here is how they came out.

I started out with just the plain pots and some simple exterior white paint. I used a spray bottle of water and watered down the pots as I applied a thin coat of white paint to make it more of a white wash.

The first coat I felt like was just a little to thin, it was a little too shabby not enough chic.

I like how they turned out after the second coat of white wash. I lightly sanded them after this just to give them a little texture. A word of caution make sure you use the really fine sand paper, I first used thick sand paper and it scratched the pots. Next came the hard part, painting the numbers on. I tried free hand and it turned out horrible!!! I decided to take the easy route and use stencils.

I had a hard time finding the right letters for the No. So I bought wooden ones and traced on the pot and then painted it in. I then used the stencil for the numbers.

I am really happy with how they turned out, I think I might just have to do these for our house as well!

%d bloggers like this: